The main curriculum of the school is a full 5-year curriculum leading to a unique degree in design. It is divided into two different parts, a 3-year undergraduate program and a 2-year postgraduate program.
Le Diplôme de design bac+5, a postgraduate degree in design
The post-graduate degree in design issued by L’École de design Nantes Atlantique has been certified by the French Ministry of Higher Education since 2002. Thus academically recognized, the degree we deliver ranks as high as a French degree in Engineering, a MBA or an academic Master’s Degree.
The standard five-year curriculum is divided into 2 courses:
- BDes courses, opened to holders of the French baccalaureate, consisting in a core syllabus and skill-based majors (Scenography, Interior Design, Graphic Design, Motion Design, UI/UX Design, Game Experience Design, Transportation Design and Product Design).
- MDes courses, opened to students who completed their undergraduate studies at L’École de design Nantes Atlantique or hold a Bachelor’s Degree in design, divided into topic-oriented programs rooted in major contemporary social and economic issues. See the section MDes by L’École de design for further details on programs and admission prerequisites.
MDes by L’École de design
The MDes programs are based on a thematic approach mixing up different profiles of designer. Five areas of study are currently explored in Nantes, with dedicated programs in French via standard education or apprenticeship or in English for international students. All programs are hosted by dedicated experimental platforms, the Design Labs.
- Care Design MDes programs
- Human Machine Design MDes programs
- Media Design MDes programs
- Food Design MDes programs
- City Design MDes programs
Double degrees, joint curricula and ECTS credits transfer
Thanks to partnership agreements with other institutions, the school offers the opportunity to obtain double degrees: students can simultaneously prepare for our Master’s Degree in design and a Master’s Degree in Business Management with the Business Administration Institute of the University of Nantes (IAE), a Master’s Degree in Virtual Reality engineering and innovation with Arts et Métiers ParisTech or the DIU Disrupt’Campus Nantes, a joint diploma of the University of Nantes, Centrale Nantes and L’École de design.
The post-graduate curriculum includes a wide variety of subjects (general knowledge, technical culture, expression modes and economics) and a final degree project that students start very early on. Our curriculums comply with the ECTS system (European Credits Transfer System) which guarantees full academic recognition for abroad studies.
All double degrees are organised in French by partner organisations.
National Diploma of Arts and Design Professions (DN MADE)
Since September 2019, the school has been awarding the Diplôme National des Métiers d’Arts et de Design, a national diploma equivalent to a bachelor’s degree, mainly organized within the school in a mixed form, with a first year through school and two years alternating between three specializations: Space, Digital and Object.
An international course in English will also be available at the start of the 2020 academic year for the Object specialisation from the second year onwards.
The school is currently the only private insitution to offer this diploma, in association with the University of Nantes.
Download the brochure for the International Programs 2020 at L’École de design