A three-year collaboration program in the insurance sector
2016, MAIF’s year of innovation
Created in 1934 by and for its members, MAIF was able to progress while remaining faithful to its founding principles: solidarity, responsibility, respect for others and secularism. A mutual insurance company, it uses its original and historical working principles which demonstrate its socio-economical roots.
MAIF has decided to make 2016 its year of innovation. This drive aims to develop a professional approach to creativity, to encourage innovation and interaction within teams. The organization wants to improve existing situations in a more agile manner, by creating a collective intelligence network through creative workshops involving various contributors (industry experts, future users, campaigners, etc.). With various socio-economic challenges and its digital transformation in mind, MAIF must be able to offer a range of services in the future that better meet its members’ expectations.
MAIF has already introduced various measures to encourage innovation (creation of an innovation hub and MAIF Avenir), and would like to continue this policy with an ecosystem bringing together external partners (academics, start-ups and large groups) to better assimilate its teams and offer innovative products and services based on collaborative innovation.
A long-term partnership to put design at the heart of innovation
The partnership with L’École de design Nantes Atlantique is part of MAIF’s Strategic-Development Plan.
Planned measures in this area promote a wide variety of collaboration methods:
• Develop a creative dynamic by bringing together students of the second year of the master’s program with MAIF collaborators to create "protoconcepts" during short two-day workshops
• Come up with ideas, in response to a problem experienced by MAIF to explore possible innovative solutions through a long-term project
• Support a design project to solve a problem experienced by MAIF as part of an expert appraisal
• Design a research program in collaboration with a Design Lab to establish a model for tools and approaches and better integrate design in the relevant area
• Form links between professionals, experts and students from the school to share knowledge and encourage relationships between the two structures
• Open up the opportunity for MAIF to recruit students in their final year of the master’s program from L’École de design Nantes Atlantique as interns
• Train MAIF collaborators in various design tools to help them innovate on a daily basis, think differently and combine them for future use and markets
• Make student project results available to MAIF with an exhibition.
In signing the framework agreement, Nicolas Boudinet, General Secretary of MAIF, confirmed the company’s desire to integrate design culture into the heart of the business. "This discipline should encourage services innovation and allow MAIF to commit to new areas of development. MAIF managers fully support this design contribution. This partnership with L’École de design Nantes Atlantique satisfies efforts to choose a partner capable of sharing its knowledge and expertise with us in order to facilitate the transfer of skills," he explained.
Christian Guellerin, Managing Director at L’École de design Nantes Atlantique, added, "The signing of a partnership with a prestigious organisation such as MAIF is an important step in the school’s history. The mutual culture in the insurance industry is a new area for design and we are delighted to be co-writing this new chapter in terms of innovation.”
To introduce this new collaboration, Christian Guellerin spoke to more than 160 MAIF employees to demonstrate current shifting paradigms and the power of design for company innovation.