International Experience by L’École de design
L’École de design Nantes Atlantique – an international school of design
In a globalized world full of issues that transcend boundaries, the international experience has become a compulsory step in a designer’s training. Creatives entrusted with a huge responsibility for the future, designers must be able to combine openness to others, inquisitiveness, pragmatism and cultural awareness. Since 1999, L’École de design Nantes Atlantique has been developing an ambitious strategy to offer our students a genuine international experience.
Opening up to the world: mobility
Since 1999, the school has had a systematic exchange policy with partner institutions and the support of Erasmus Plus, the European Union’s higher education mobility program. Each student preparing the master’s degree in design thus has to complete a minimum of one international residence at the beginning of the cycle (school exchange or company internship).
90 partner schools on four continents work closely with the permanent international relations department. 70 to 80 students are hosted in Nantes each year, while our students are hosted in the partner institutions. Programs taught in English with an international scope are organized in the school and are aimed at a diverse audience:
- 3rd year of the international DN MADE, Undergraduate National Diploma in 3 years. Specific program of undergraduate studies combining international exchange students and French students, which offers 3 specializations: Retail & Interior Design, Industrial Products and Digital Media Design.
- MDes Le Studio France, Master’s program taught in English, in Nantes that encourages the exploration of French culture in an applied interdisciplinary context.
- 4 MDes International Design Strategy taught within the school’s international studios.
- The school also organizes international workshops with the teaching staff from partner institutions on its various campuses.
An immersive experience in international metropolises: the studios
The opening of a first international studio in Qingdao (People’s Republic of China) in 2008 marked the kickoff of a policy to deploy studios in major international cities, primarily in emerging economies. All the studios offer trainee designers the same experience of long-term immersion (between 18 and 24 months), confronting them with the specific challenges of these environments and forcing them to question their reference points and attitudes. A real stepping stone to international careers at the end of their studies, with the guarantee of the framework of a recognized French institution.
Today, there are four working studios on four continents:
- China Studio in Shanghai (China), in partnership with the Academy of Fine Arts at Shanghai University
- India Studio in Pune (India), in partnership with Maharastra Institute of Technology
- Brazil Studio in São Paulo (Brazil), in partnership with Mackenzie University.
- Le Studio Montréal (Quebec, Canada) in partnership with Centech
Sharing: international networks
The school and its representatives are actively involved in international organizations and professional and institutional networks for sharing and interacting with our peers to promote design and its teaching.
Since 1999, the school has been a member of Cumulus which brings together 250 training establishments in art, design & media, and which was presided over by Christian Guellerin, the school’s managing director, between 2007 and 2013. It is a signatory to the Erasmus + charter for mobility organization on a European level, and a member of Campus France, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ international network for promoting French higher education.
The school has also joined the World Design Organisation, the first professional design association. It regularly takes part in international events for promoting design (Salone Milano, Dubaï Design Week, etc.)
International Experience by L’École de design: the figures
- 138 international students
- 40 different nationalities hosted in 2019
- 110 partner schools
- 11 programs taught in English