In France, enrolment in higher education leads to membership in students social security scheme. It’s the school responsibility. This membership depends on student’s age and parent’s socio-professional category.
During administrative registration, students have to pay a mandatory "contribution to student activities and life on campus".
For the academic year 2018-2019, the flat–rate contribution is € 90.
The administrative procedure may differ depending on your situation:
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS WHO STUDIED IN FRANCE LAST YEAR AND ALREADY HAVE A FRENCH HEALTH INSURANCE PLAN
- You are still affiliated to your current health insurance payment center (LDME, SMEBA...) until August 31, 2019
- From September 1, 2019 you will automatically join the general health insurance payment center (CPAM) of your city of residence. This does not require any administrative procedure from you.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS FROM THE EUROPEAN UNION, EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA AND SWITZERLAND
- If you already have health insurance coverage in your country, you do not need to sign up for the French State health insurance. In this case, you must bring your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
- It is however strongly recommended that you sign up for a top-up health insurance policy after your arrival in France.
- You must affiliate to the French health insurance policy.
- You will benefit from the same level of coverage as other students and benefit from a free healthcare
- An internet webpage in French and English to guide you through the registration procedure.
- Your health insurance registration can only be carried out after your arrival in France and your definitive registration in the school.
At your arrival, the school’s international office will help you to sign up.