MDes Care / Sustainable Innovation
- // Initial Education
- // Program taught in English
- // Nantes (France)
A postgraduate program in two years specialized in Sustainable Innovation, a single master’s degree in design
The MDes Care / Sustainable Innovation experiments how design in its various forms can contribute to more environmentally friendly behaviours. Sustainable development and social responsibility are thus fully integrated in all the design fields (product design, service design, spatial design, graphic design and interaction design).
- Economic patterns : companies’ long-term success and sustainability, design as a strategic tool in the business
- Global design : keeping in mind the social and environmental responsibility of design
- The concept of « second project »: the devices are conceived to leave a margin of negotiation and harmonization between users and their ecosystem.
The Sustainable Innovation program aims to innovate for sustainable development, keeping in mind the social and environmental responsibility of design.
> Become a responsible designer
Pollution, natural disasters, overpopulation, need for new energies... Design must try to offer new answers to these evolutions by providing a global and systemic vision of the world.
Designers must imagine sustainable concepts applicable to all, not only to answer today’s challenges, but also to anticipate the upcoming evolutions.
The Sustainable Innovation program aims to shape creative designers managers, committed to an ethical reflexion, whi can go against the mainstream ideas and listen to a constantly changing reality.
> Get a sustainable design expertise
During this master’s program, students develop their skills and know-how through many projects, workshops, seminars, courses... They are led to research, manage data, display it, extract emergent themes and patterns in order to identify the problems of targeted population groups, and then to develop a product or a service that will have a real impact on people’s life.
Program taught in English
> Academic requirements
This program is open to all applicants who either:
- hold a Bachelor’s Degree in design or equivalent, or
- have completed at least three years of undergraduate studies in design or equivalent, equating to at least 180 ECTS credits
You may apply before actually receiving the degree or having completed your undergraduate studies. However, admission will only take effect once the degree is obtained or the undergraduate credits have been validated.
Applicants whose level we assess to be insufficient may be recommended to follow a semester or a full year in our International Class before entering the master’s program.
> Language requirements
If you are not a native English speaker, we ask that you provide proof of your English proficiency (minimum level of 700 points at the TOEIC test or equivalent for programs taught in English).
While not mandatory for the programs taught in English, a certain command of French language is recommended for daily life in France and integration purposes.
> How to apply ?
How ? Application can only be done online.
When ? From October 13, 2017 to June24, 2018
How much does it cost ? Once you have filled out your personal data, you will be required to pay a non-refundable inscription fee of 50€ to cover the administrative costs of your admission process. This payment is only possible by credit card or Paypal and is fully secured.
The selection process is organized as follow:
1. online application and payment of the application fees,
2. sending all the required documents for application,
3. application file review,
4. if your application is accepted and if necessary, a face-to-face or skype interview will be organized.
> Tuition fees
Tuition fees 2018 : 7 700 € per year.
Scholarships: We recommend you contact the French embassy in your country, your local CampusFrance agency.
During their fifth year students can prepare a double degree to improve certain skills.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, delivered by the Business Administration Institute of the University of Nantes. Open to all the MDes programs taught in France (except the MDes UX Design option Design & Virtual Reality).
This program taught by a partner institution is in French. A minimum level of CEFR B2 is recommended to be able to follow the courses.
Head of program
Gaël Guilloux, director of the Care Design Lab
Mikaël Le Tohic
Job prospects and further education
> Areas of application
- New sustainable and economic models
- Green energies
- Building facilities: water heater, flooring
- Sports and recreation facilities
- Public lighting
- Waste collection
> Master’s degree in design
As all our master programs, this one leads you to the Master’s degree in design, certified by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research and registered in the Registre National des Certifications Professionnelles (the French directory for vocational qualifications or RNCP) as a Level I Master’s degree.
To know more about this degree, check out the Our degrees page.
Armor Grup, Del Piscines, Gémo, Linak, Système U
Competitiveness clusters & Public Institutions
Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Maine et Loire, Cluster West, CRCI Pays de la Loire, Design Cumulus Working Group – DESIS Network (Design for social innovation and sustainable development), Practice Research Education, Nova Child, Pays de la Loire Region
L’École de design Nantes Atlantique shows a selection of 19 end of studies projects at la Cale 2 on l’Île de Nantes from November 26th 2016 to January 25th 2017