MDes Care / Health & Social Innovation
- // Initial Education
- // Program taught in French
- // Nantes (France)
A postgraduate program in two years specialized in Health & Social Innovation, a single master’s degree in design
The MDes Health & Social Innovation aims to identify and experience how product design, service design, graphic design, space design and interactive design can bring a better understanding of user groups such as children or the elderly, in order to offer solutions to improve their daily life and social conditions.
- Health : preventention and care
- Quality of life : rhythms of life, ethics, autonomy, longevity, fulfilment, community life (place and role within the community)
- Environmental and social mediation: understand and give meaning to life experiment so as to take effective actions and consider the user as a stakeholder.
- From individual identity to the collective identity: the sharing of skills, experience, abilities and memories (solidarity and empathy).
The Health & Social Innovation program aims to innovate in an ethical approach to improve life conditions. Students are led to research, manage data, display it, extract emergent themes and patterns in order to identify the problems of targeted population groups, and then to develop a product or a service that will have a real impact on people’s life.
> Become a responsible designer
Increasing life expectancy, deterioration of the social link, poverty, overpopulation... Design must try to offer new answers to these evolutions providing a globale and systemic vision of the world.
The design role is to imagine sustainable and applicable to all concepts, not only to answer today’s challenges, but also to anticipate the upcoming evolutions.
The Health & Social Innovation program aims to shape creative designer managers, committed to an ethical reflexion, capable to go against the mainstream ideas and to listen to a constantly changing reality.
> Get a sustainable design expertise
All along this master program, students develop their skills and know-how through many projects, wokshops, seminars, courses... They are led to research, manage data, display it, extract emergent themes and patterns in order to identify the problems of targeted population groups, and then to develop a product or a service that will have a real impact on people’s life.
> Academic requirements
These programs are open to all applicants who either:
- hold a Bachelor’s Degree in design or equivalent, or
- have completed at least three years of undergraduate studies in design or equivalent, equating to at least 180 ECTS credits
You may apply before actually receiving the degree or having completed your undergraduate studies. However, admission will only take effect once the degree is obtained or the undergraduate credits have been validated.
Applicants whose level we assess to be insufficient may be recommended to follow a semester or a full year in our International Class before entering the master’s program.
> Language requirements
If you are not a native English speaker, we ask that you provide proof of your English proficiency (minimum level of 600 points at the TOEIC test or equivalent for programs taught in French).
A minimum level of CEFR B2 in French is mandatory for non-native speakers who wish to apply for a MDes taught in French language.
> How to apply ?
How ? Application can only be done online.
When ? From October 13 2017 to June, 24
How much does it cost ? Once you have filled out your personal data, you will be required to pay a non-refundable inscription fee of 50€ to cover the administrative costs of your admission process. This payment is only possible by credit card or Paypal and is fully secured.
The selection process is organized as follow:
1. online application and payment of the application fees,
2. sending all the required documents for application,
3. application file review,
4. if your application is accepted and if necessary, a face-to-face or skype interview will be organized.
> Tuition fees
Tuition fees 2018 : 7 700 € per year.
Scholarships: We recommend you contact the French embassy in your country, your local CampusFrance agency.
During their fifth year students can prepare a double degree to improve certain skills.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, delivered by the Business Administration Institute of the University of Nantes. Open to all the MDes programs taught in France (except the MDes UX Design option Design & Virtual Reality).
This program taught by the partner institutions is taught in French. A minimum level of CEFR B2 is recommended to be able to follow the courses.
Head of program
Gaël Guilloux, Director of Care Design Lab
Job prospects and further education
> Areas of application
Equipment, applications, arrangements of spaces, and services related to:
- Health and well-being
- Games and educational toys
- Recreation and sports
- Silver Economy (elderly market)
> Master’s degree in design
As all our master programs, this one leads you to the Master’s degree in design, certified by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research and registered in the Registre National des Certifications Professionnelles (the French directory for vocational qualifications or RNCP) as a Level I Master’s degree.
To know more about this diplome, check out the Our degrees page.
French Hospital Federation (FHF)
Nouvelles Cliniques Nantaises (private hospital)
University Hospital of Nantes (CHU)
Competitiveness clusters and Public Institutions
Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Maine et Loire
City of Vertou
University hospital of Nantes
Gérontopôle Pays-de-la-Loire (research center for the aging population)
Pays de la Loire region