MDes Care Design
- // Apprenticeship
- // Program taught in French
- // Nantes (France)
A MDes program taught in French and specialized in Care Design.
The MDes Care Design aims to identify and experience how product design, service design, graphic design, space design and interactive design can bring a better understanding of user groups such as children or the elderly, in order to offer solutions to improve their daily life and social conditions.
- Health : preventention and care
- Quality of life : rhythms of life, ethics, autonomy, longevity, fulfilment, community life (place and role within the community)
- Environmental and social mediation: understand and give meaning to life experiment so as to take effective actions and consider the user as a stakeholder.
- From individual identity to the collective identity: the sharing of skills, experience, abilities and memories (solidarity and empathy).
If you hold a bachelor degree in design and are interested in a program taught in English in Social innovation, have a look at "Le Studio France - Social Design"
The MDes programs, established over two years, are organized in four semesters validated by 30 ECTS each. A consequent and increasing personal working time is expected for each module.
Students spend this semester abroad, either in academic exchange or internship as a junior designer (13 weeks minimum).
The objective of this semester for students studying at a partner school is to discover other teaching methods, other tools and approaches of the design project.
For students in internship, the goal is to highlight and expand professional knowledge in the context of another culture.
During this semester, students learn how to manage complex design projects, deepen their knowledge of the economic, social and cultural aspects of the field covered in their program, build and apply a methodology and support their end-of-term project. studies, the subject of which they themselves define.
Teaching, delivered in the form of projects in partnership with industry, workshops, lectures, conferences and professional meetings includes the following compulsory credits:
• Design and complexity project
• Workshop to define the end of studies project
• Prospective design project
• Seminar methodologies
• Innovation seminar
• Intellectual property
• Seminar specific to the theme of the program
• Introduction to research workshop
• Professionalisation / lab
• TOEIC preparation
• Preparation for the end of studies project, complementary seminar
• Memory preparation workshop
Continuation and finalization of the end-of-studies project summarizing all the professional skills acquired. It can be conducted in collaboration with a company and / or research laboratory of a partner university. This personal end-of-studies project must be related to the program in which students are enrolled.
Supervision is ensured in the form of workshops under the direction of a referent designer, to which punctual speakers are associated. Writing a thesis in the theme of the project.
• Initiation to law
• introduction to management
• End of studies project workshop
• Memory Workshop
• Professionalization & lab
The study program ends with a minimum of sixteen weeks (and a maximum of six months) internship within a company, in France or abroad.
Trainees work as junior designers and support all or part of a project.
The student must demonstrate his ability to integrate into a team, manage a project and develop all the sequences of the project for its smooth running. It allows the student to articulate all of his studies with what will be his first professional experience.
Depending on the professional project of the student, this internship can also take place within a company that the student will create, or even within a research laboratory.
> Academic requirements
Selection of applicants is done based on their registration form, application file, portfolio and interview.
This program is open to all applicants who either:
• hold a Bachelor’s Degree in design or equivalent, or
• have completed at least three years of undergraduate studies in design or equivalent, equating to at least 180 ECTS credits
You may apply before actually receiving the degree or having completed your undergraduate studies. However, admission will only take effect once the degree is obtained or the undergraduate credits have been validated.
Applicants whose level we assess to be insufficient may be recommended to follow a semester or a full year in our International Class before entering the master’s program.
How ? Application can only be done online.
When ? Application for the academic year 2020-2021 will open in December 2019.
How much does it cost ? Once you have filled out your personal data, you will be required to pay a non-refundable inscription fee of 50€ to cover the administrative costs of your admission process. This payment is only possible by credit card or Paypal and is fully secured.
The selection process is organized as follow:
1. online application, payment of the application fees, and uploading all the required documents for application,
2. application file review,
3. if your application is accepted : invitation to an interview during which you will have to present your portfolio.
If you do not reside in France, this interview may be done by telephone or Skype.
> Tuition fees 2020
French students and European Union students : 7,700 € per year.
Non-European Union students : 9,000 € per year.
During their fifth year students can prepare a double degree to improve certain skills.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, delivered by the Business Administration Institute of the University of Nantes. Open to all the MDes programs taught in France (except the MDes Machine UX Design).
This program taught by the partner institutions is taught in French. A minimum level of CEFR B2 is recommended to be able to follow the courses.
Head of program
Clémence Montagne, Director of Care Design Lab
Job prospects and further education
> Areas of application
Equipment, applications, arrangements of spaces, and services related to:
- Health and well-being
- Games and educational toys
- Recreation and sports
- Silver Economy (elderly market)
> Master’s degree in design
As all our master programs, this one leads you to the Master’s degree in design, certified by the French Ministry of Higher Education and Research and registered in the Registre National des Certifications Professionnelles (the French directory for vocational qualifications or RNCP) as a Level I Master’s degree.
To know more about this diplome, check out the Our degrees page.
French Hospital Federation (FHF)
Nouvelles Cliniques Nantaises (private hospital)
University Hospital of Nantes (CHU)
Competitiveness clusters and Public Institutions
Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Maine et Loire
City of Vertou
University hospital of Nantes
Gérontopôle Pays-de-la-Loire (research center for the aging population)
Pays de la Loire region
L’École de design Nantes Atlantique expose 20 projets de fin d'études à la Cale 2 Créateurs sur l'île de Nantes du 24 novembre 2018 au 23 janvier 2019.