Applications can be done online until August 20, 2018 for these programs :
- International Class / Brand Design
- International Class / Digital Media Design
- International Class / Industrial Products
> Applications Procedure
Selection of applicants is done based on their registration form, application file, portfolio and interview.
Step 1 - Register online
Applications can only be done online.
Once you have filled out your personal data, you will be required to pay a non-refundable inscription fee of 50€ to cover the administrative costs of your admission process. This payment is only possible by credit card or PayPal and is fully secured.
After registering online you will receive an e-mail stating your file number and providing a link to the mandatory online questionnaire.
Step 2 - Send full application file
In order to validate your application file, you will have to provide some documents. You will receive an email including the list of the documents required.
These documents must be downloaded to the applications homepage.
Make sure your file contains the following documents:
• a cover letter (letter of intent),
• a resumé (CV),
• a portfolio (preferably uploaded directly via your application webpage),
• an official document stating your English proficiency if you are not a native English-speaker (in the absence of such a document, we will contact you for an oral assessment by telephone or skype),
• copies of your degrees and certificates,
• copies of your transcripts showing the courses followed, your grades, and credits accumulated.
All these documents must either be written in English or in French, or translated into one of these languages. A certified translation is recommended for the degrees.
Step 3 - Application file review
Your application file and your portfolio will be reviewed by the head of program.
Step 4 - Participate in the interview
If your application is accepted, you will be summoned for an interview by an admissions jury. If you do not reside in France, this interview may be done by telephone or Skype.
> Admission requirements
You may apply for the one-year undergraduate program taught in English, International Class, if you have completed a minimum of 2 years of undergraduate studies or validated 120 ECTS in one of the following fields:
• spatial design or interior architecture
• interaction design or multimedia design
• product design or industrial design
• graphic design or visual communication
2nd semester only
You may apply for the second semester of bachelor’s level studies in English at L’École de design if you have completed a minimum of 2.5 years of undergraduate studies or 150 ECTS (for European students) in one of the fields of design mentioned above.
In either case, it is possible to apply before actually having completed the required level of studies or ECTS. However, admission will only take effect once the degree is obtained or the credits have been validated.
Once accepted, students remain eligible for registration for one year.
Exchange students sent from a partner school follow a different application procedure. Please visit the page dedicated to Foreign Exchanges
> Language requirements
All classes and workshops are conducted in English. Therefore a basic command of this language is recommended.
If you are not a native English speaker, we ask that you provide proof of your English proficiency (with a certificate such as TOEIC, TOEFL, Cambridge...). If you are not in possession of such a certificate, you may take an oral assessment by telephone or Skype with a professor from L’École de design.
We require no minimum level of English to apply. However, it is highly recommended that applicants have a good level of English (CEFR B2 if possible) for the following reasons:
• these undergraduate courses are taught in English;
• if you wish to continue your studies at the postgraduate level in one of MDes programs taught in English, you must be able to follow the courses and write your thesis in English;
• if you wish to continue your studies at the postgraduate level, you must obtain a minimum level of 750 points at the TOIEC test (the equivalent of IELTS 5.5,TOEFL iBT 80 points, Cambridge FCE, CPE or CAE, Bulats 60 points) in order to be granted the Master’s Degree in Design from L’École de design Nantes Atlantique (Diplôme de design bac+5).
While not mandatory for the International Class, a certain command of French language is recommended for daily life in France and integration purposes. You will have to provide any certificate of French language you may already have or you can indicate your current level of French using the CEFR self assessment grid
However, students wishing to continue their studies at the master’s level in one of the programs taught in French will need a good command of both spoken and written French.
> Tuition fees
Tuition fees 2018 : 7 700 € per year.